A local man was taken to the hospital and another has been jailed after an alleged fight in a bar, another threw snowballs and yelled inappropriately, a pedestrian was struck by a vehicle, a Caddy apparently struck a Chevy, and another vehicle got rear-ended.


Those were among the matters that required Port Allegany Police Department attention in the week that began Monday, February 21 and ended Sunday, February 27.


At 8:30 a.m. last Monday Chief Dave Distrola received a call about a disturbance at 1 Marks Drive, which had occurred about 3 a.m. A known male had been throwing snowballs at the residence of a female, and yelling obscenities at her. Distrola located the male and advised him not to contact the female again.


At 10 a.m. Distrola got a complaint concerning property damage at 91 Pearl Street, where there had been contact between the vehicles of two residents of the building. Apparently a Cadillac said to be owned by Doug Majors Jr. had struck a Chevy Tahoe owned by Bob Wright. Investigation continues.


Last Tuesday at 8:30 a.m. Distrola investigated a minor motor vehicle crash on South Main Street. One vehicle was rear-ended by another, and there was minor damage. There were no injuries, and both vehicles could be driven from the scene. The operators were advised to exchange information and report the incident to their insurance companies.


At 7:45 last Wednesday morning Chief Distrola responded to a call about a minor motor vehicle crash at the intersection of South Main Street and Route 155 South. A vehicle had been traveling south on South Main when another vehicle pulled out in front of it, off Route 155 South. The crash was non-reportable in that there were no injuries and both vehicles were drivable. The operators were advised to exchange information and notify their insurance companies.


At 8:41 a.m. Distrola responded to a report of a pedestrian having been struck by a motor vehicle at the intersection of East Mill Street and Willow Street.  Mary-jo Trimm of Port Allegany had been walking in the westbound lane of East Mill Street and was crossing in front of Willow street when a GMC Acadia operated by Shirley Curfman of Roulette allegedly stopped, then proceeded, and struck Trimm, pushing her across the roadway. Fire department and ambulance personnel came to the scene. Trimm refused treatment. Curfman indicated that she had not seen Trimm due to bright sunlight interfering with her vision. No charges will be filed.


That afternoon at 3:40 p.m. Officer Tony Tanner was able to locate the owner of a cell phone turned in at the station. Tanner called a contact listed in the phone, and obtained the needed information. 

At 10:21 p.m. Tanner assisted with entry of a home on South Pine Street to facilitate a medical call and access by ambulance personnel.


Thursday morning Chief Distrola got a vandalism call at 9 a.m., which took him to Bridgeport Academy on East Main Street. A male juvenile student had kicked a hole in a wall. The student was removed from the school and transported to the station, where he was picked up by his parents. The student will be charged with institutional vandalism and disorderly conduct.


 Friday evening at 8:10 Officer Adam Dickerson was dispatched to Two Mile Toad for a report of an attempted suicide. He stood by at the scene until Pennsylvania State Police arrived. He did not provide any other information.


 At 1:30 a.m. Saturday Dickerson was called to a location behind Moe’s Bar and Grill, where there was an unresponsive male. Investigation revealed that Andy Bailey, 37, was said to have been involved in a fight with Jason Cornelius, 26, and had sustained injuries. Bailey was transported to Charles Cole Memorial Hospital.


 At 4 p.m. Sunday Dickerson arrested Cornelius, of 2725 Route 6, Roulette, on charges of aggravated assault, simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, disorderly conduct and harassment, in connection with the incident at Moe’s Bar and Grill. Cornelius was arraigned before Magisterial Judge Bill Todd, who set bail at $50,000. Cornelius was jailed. The extent of Bailey’s injuries was unknown.