Western Union doesnít handle wires and cables anymore, but the Port Allegany Police Department was expected to in the week that began Monday, March 21 and ended Sunday, March 27. Also, there were a Great Escape and maybe a Grand Theft Auto, a BOLO for a Salamanca runaway, a found credit card, and reported violence and a concussion at Beacon Light, adding variety to police log entries.


Last Monday afternoon at 4:27 Officer Tony Tanner responded to Bridgeport Academy for a report of a runaway juvenile. The juvenile was located later, and a state constable transported the juvenile to a Dubois placement facility.


At 6:38 p.m. Tanner captured a stray dog and placed it in the holing pen. Later it was discovered that the animal had chewed a hole in the chain link fencing and escaped.


 Last Tuesday at 11:45 a.m. Officer Adam Dickerson was told about a possible scam. A resident reported getting an e-mail promising a $300,000 credit card for a payment of $200.


 At 6:30 p.m. Dickerson got a complaint that copper wire had been taken from railroad property near Railroad Avenue. Dickerson discovered that a property owner had yanked down a strand of wire because it had fallen across the roadway. No charges have been filed in the matter.


 Last Wednesday at 10 a.m. Chief Dave Distrola received a complaint that there was a wire down on Mill Street. He found that a television cable was down, and removed it from the roadway.


An hour and a half later there was another complaint about a wire down, this one on Church Street. It turned out to be a phone line, which was connected to the rear of 510 North Main Street. Verizon was contacted, and they advised tearing the wire down if it was a traffic hazard. Instead, Distrola notified the property owner, who said he would take care of the matter.


At 1:40 p.m. Distrola was dispatched to Bridgeport Academy for a reported assault. The information provided was that two students had been arguing, and a physical fight ensued, and in the course of the incident a staff member had sustained a possible concussion. The staff member was transported to Charles Cole Memorial Hospital, Coudersport. Investigation continues, and charges are pending.


At 2:45 p.m. Officer Dickerson was dispatched to Willow Street for a reported hit-and-run. Dickersonís log entry states that someone with surname Shavalier had reported that a blue Tracker had run a stop sign and scuffed her bumper. Dickerson did not find visible damage. Shavalier could not provide further details.


At 3:15 p.m. Dickerson received information from the Salamanca, N.Y. police department that a 15-year-old female had run away that day, and might be heading to Dubois or Port Allegany, presumably with Chris Rendall, 19. The juvenile had not been located by the end of the report period.


At 9:30 p.m. of that busy Wednesday, Dickerson received a complaint from Amanda Haight of Penny Lane stating that Amber Stuckey had come to her residence and threatened her. Dickerson advised both parties to refrain from contacting each other; otherwise, they will face charges. The log does not mention the type of threat Stuckey is alleged to have made.


Friday morning at 8:30 a.m. Chief Distrola was told that Denise Campbell of Vine Street had caught a dog running at large. She was advised to contact the state dog warden and the SPCA. While waiting for further intervention, the dog was provided with hospitality by a neighbor who has heated holding pens.


At 3 p.m. Officer Dickerson was dispatched to 87 Church Street for a reported theft of an automobile. Paul Easton said his 1995 white Mercury Sable four-door sedan had been taken sometime between 4:15 p.m. Thursday and 2:30 p.m. Friday. Later the car was found by Bradford City Police Officer Jason Daugherty, in the parking lot of the Best Western Hotel. Easton was contacted and the vehicle was released to him. The key had been left in the ignition. Investigation continues.


Saturday at 9:46 p.m. Officer Tanner received a call saying that Josh Nelson had discovered a credit card in a Blockbuster movie rental box. Tanner contacted the owner, who said the card already had been reported lost and had been replaced, and requested that the one found by Nelson be destroyed.