Scammers and spammers, vehicle lock-outs, a curfew violation and a stray dog were among matters that the Port Allegany Police Department was asked to handle in the week that began Monday, May 2 and ended Sunday, May 8.


Chief Dave Distrola helped a motorist with a vehicle lockout on Park Lane Drive last Monday at 8:45 a.m. Then at 11:15 a.m. he assisted another motorist with a similar problem at the Port Allegany Junior-Senior High School.


When Officer Adam Dickerson was on second shift duty at 7:40 p.m., he assisted yet another locked out motorist on Willow Street.


Thursday at 10:05 a.m. Officer Kyle Day received a report from Connie Allen about a check for $4,989 she had received, supposedly for Swiss Lotto winnings. Day checked with the Sunmark Bank in Albany, N.Y. and learned that they were aware of the circulation of other checks looking like theirs, but not authentic.


At 4:22 p.m. Officer Tony Tanner got a report concerning another scam, with collection calls to John Wallace, said to be from Total Solutions. Tanner advised Wallace not to provide any information to the caller and said he would check on the company.


Susan Worth reported at 7:47 p.m. that she had received a call from a collection agency, although she knew that she did not owe the debt the caller had spoken of. Tanner assured her that she did not need to supply such callers any information.


At 11:23 p.m. Friday Officer Tanner was dispatched to Sheetz for a welfare check from Tioga County. He contacted the supposed subject and found that everything was as it should be.


Tanner was on duty at 11:28 p.m. the following night when he had occasion to pick up a female juvenile for a curfew violation. He transported her to her home and notified a parent. A citation is pending.


At 12 a.m. Sunday Officer Day was dispatched to Rite-Aid where an alarm had been triggered, and found that things were okay. Apparently an employee had tripped the alarm by accident.


A cell phone found near the high school was turned over to Day at 2 p.m.


Officer Tanner picked up a stray dog near 417 East Mill Street at 4:03 p.m. When no one claimed the dog, attempts were made to contact the dog warden, “with negative results.”


Another alarm at Rite-Aid sent Tanner there at 4:27 p.m. Again, all was in order.