VETERANS MEMORIAL, INC.
PO BOX 241
PORT ALLEGANY, PA. 16743
July 1, 2011
Hope you all have a safe and happy Independence Day. The Veterans Memorial has many events coming up for the next three months and we will try to keep you posted on a weekly basis as each event approaches. The newsletter can be picked up at the club. For shut-ins and those want a newsletter mailed to them they can request so by contacting Earl Stromberg (814-642-9244) or leave a message at the club. The following website can also be accessed that is kept current for events. www.brownbearsw.com/freecal/PAVFW. The Board of Directors thanks you for the support you have given to the Veterans Memorial and need your continued support. If at all possible attend the meetings that are listed and stop in and support the Veterans Memorial.
EVENTS AND MEETINGS FOR JULY, AUGUST and SEPTEMBER
VETERANS MEMORIAL, INC.
· BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETINGS. 7 p.m. on July 12, August 9 and September 13.
· Round and Square Dance (Down Home Country Band) on July 15, 7-10 p.m. Cover charge. Open to the public.
· July 17 Spaghetti Dinner Benefit fund raiser for Margie Daugherty Weaver from 1-5 p.m. $7 – Under 13 $4. Open to the public.
· July 30 Benefit Bike (Dice) run benefit for Sydney Ellison. Registration 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. $5 donation. Raffles-Chinese Auction-Door prizes-Food. Open to the public.
· Round and Square Dance (Down Home Country Band) on August 19, 7-10 p.m. Cover charge. Open to the public
· September 24, DJ Bob Emerson at 9 p.m. Open to the public (Must be 21 or older)
· If you have an event planned in 2011 or 2012 and are interested in renting the banquet room or pavilion, call 814-642-9244 for open dates.
VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS POST 6391
AMERICAN LEGION POST 258
· LEGION MEETINGS. 7:30 p.m. on July 19, August 23 and September 27.
· Thank You for paying your dues and being a member. Once again we have exceeded 100% paid up membership. We are looking for new ideas for fund raising, community involvement and veteran support. We value your input and would love to hear your ideas at one of our meetings.
· Remember that the Legion Post offers FREE MEMBERSHIPS (first year only) to any service member returning from duty overseas or on active duty.
· Applications for membership of AMERICAN LEGION POST 258 are $22 and can be mailed to you or picked up at the club.
VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS POST 6391 AUXILIARY
· VFW AUXILIARY MEETINGS. 6 p.m. on July 20 (Aux picnic), 7 p.m. on August 17 and September 21.
· VFW Auxiliary picnic July 20 at 6 p.m.
· Applications for membership of VFW Post 6391 Auxiliary can be mailed to you or picked up at the club. First year Dues are $20 the first year and $15 after that. Please include copy of applicant’s relatives DD-214 when applying.
AMERICAN LEGION POST 258 AUXILIARY
· LEGION AUXILIARY MEETINGS. 1 p.m. on July 20, August 17 and September 11. Legion Auxiliary membership picnic August 14 at 1 p.m.
· Applications for membership of AMERICAN LEGION POST 258 Auxiliary can be mailed to you or picked up at the club. Dues are $15.
SONS OF THE LEGION SQUADRON 258
· SAL MEETINGS. 7 p.m. July 4, August 1 and September 5.
· Applications for membership to SAL Squadron 258 can be mailed to you or picked up at the club.
PORT ALLEGANY HONOR GUARD
· We can take a great deal of pride in the performance of our Honor Guard. Our Honor Guard is comprised of volunteers from the VFW, American Legion and Sons of the Legion. We provide a detail, honoring the passing of comrades, remembering Veterans Day and Memorial Day and supporting our Elementary School students in recognizing our Countries Flag. We also participate in local special events in honoring our countries veterans.
Our ranks are dwindling and we are seeking new members. If you can volunteer a couple of hours on occasion, WE WANT YOU! Stand up and take pride in your post. Contact Joe Knell at 814-642-9328 if we can put you on a possible call out list.
SUPPORT YOUR POSTS AND ATTEND YOUR MEETINGS!!!
IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE INTERESTED IN JOINING ONE OF THESE ORGANIZATIONS, PLEASE CONTACT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING OR STOP IN FOR AN APPLICATION.
· VFW COMMANDER – CHUCK SMITH 814-642-7698 or Q.M. EARL STROMBERG 814-642-9244
· LEGION COMMANDER - MIKE HADDEN 814-642-7813 or JOE KNELL 642-9328.
· VFW AUXILIARY PRESIDENT - PATTY FABISH 814-642-2111
· LEGION AUXILIARY PRESIDENT - JUANITA KNELL 814-642-9328
· SONS OF THE LEGION COMMANDER - WAYNE THOMAS 814-642-5028
· SOCIAL - EARL STROMBERG 814-642-9244
Happy Hour and Beer Specials every Monday thru Thursday 4-6 PM, as well as a Food menu through out the week.
Free Pool every Tuesday.
Wall of Honor Brick Applications $60. Any Veteran with an Honorable Discharge is eligible to have their name engraved on the Wall. Applications are available at the club.
WE WOULD LIKE TO EXTEND OUR HEARTFELT SYMPATHY TO THE FAMILYS OF THESE MEMBERS.
AMERICAN LEGION AUXILIARY MEMBER RITA BEAN PASSED AWAY ON APRIL 24, 2011.
VFW AND AMERICAN LEGION MEMBER DON KUPPER PASSED AWAY ON MAY 9, 2011. DON WAS A WWII VETERAN.
The next newsletter will be sent out in late September. If there is something you would like to have listed in the letter, please submit to The Veterans Memorial, Inc. PO Box 241 Port Allegany, PA 16743 or leave it at the club by June 20, 2011.
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS! OUR FREEDOM IS NOT FREE.
IN MEMORY OF WWII VETERAN DONALD KUPPER